Tuesday 19 July 2011

Listening now: V-3



V-3 probably isn't the best band to put up for my first post and for that I'm not actually recommending it per se. BUT I do actually like this record. It's not something you'd play if you were trying to get a girl, or a family road trip, or basically with anyone besides yourself or your stoned friend.

I was introduced to these guys, and the legend of Jim Shepard, from a person younger than me who's musical knowledge puts me to absolute shame, but I'm slowly catching up... I think. Anyway, to my burnt out knowledge, v-3 were around during the legendary Columbus, Ohio noise rock scene, of which Jim Shepard was a key figure.

 The recording is rough, the vocals are hidden behind a haze of static - occasionally you can pick off lyrics about some guy looking dumb in a grey suit. The guitar sounds similar to the noise a chainsaw would make if it was cutting through steel, and throughout the record is a myriad of strange beeps, screeches, static, feedback and basically just confusing sounds. But don't get me wrong, this record rocks.

Last.fm describes v-3 as:

"Mistakenly categorized as lo-fi, underground legend Jim Shepard and his mid-’90s outfit V-3 should really be termed lo-pro (for low production), as the many mumbling, sometimes droning lo-fi bands of the mid-’90s have little artistically in common with Shepard’s offbeat, organic rock. However, at a period when bands like Pavement and Guided by Voices were releasing records that practically shimmer by comparison, the production value of Photograph Burns and Evil Love Deeper are stunningly low for indie, much less major-label, releases."

The record has a dystopian feel to it, it's almost like there is no emotion - just abrasive noise and angered vocals. I'm sure he's saying something important, but I have no idea what it is.

Doctors advice: Listen to this when your feeling something different, and you want loud, messy, abrasive noise (which is probably never for most normal people).

Recommended if you like: electric eels, vertical slit, thomas jefferson slave apartments, pink reason, homostupids, clockcleaner, etc.



LISTEN HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment