Sunday 4 September 2011

Doco of the Week: Be Here to Love Me: A Film About Townes Van Zandt


Up until about August last year (2010) I had absolutely no idea who Townes Van Zandt was and what he did, but that all changed one hazy night stumbling into a friends house at 2am in downtown Missoula Montana. I was just coming by to find a floor to sleep on, but my friend was up watching this documentary on the big screen. After some minor rambling about my late night shenanigans in the dusty dive bars of Missoula, I positioned myself on the empty couch, cracked open a fresh can of PBR and prepared to pass out not caring what was being played before me.

But as I started watching, I was drawn into it and could not sleep. I watched the entire film from beginning to end, captivated by Townes' story.

Townes had a hard life, but he always seemed cheerful. His music was straight from the soul, or the bottom of a bottle of whiskey, whatever comes first. Even if you're not a country music fan you'll enjoy this film, simply because of the story told. And if you're not a fan of Townes at the end, well then there is no hope in you.


If you are lucky enough to live in the USA and not restriced by Australia's RIDICULOUS internet laws, then you can watch the entire doco over at Hulu ( there's also ways around this but you can figure that out for yourselves).

If you want another taste of Townes, then here is a great version of "waiting around to die".

No comments:

Post a Comment